This year will be the biggest year yet for the giving of pre-owned items. A recent survey by YouGov showed that 84% of holiday shoppers said inflation will impact their shopping this holiday season, therefore 37% of those shoppers will look to secondhand shopping for their gifting. What’s more exciting is that 74% of millennials actually said they would like to receive a pre-owned gift (and a whopping 92% of adults said they're 'open' to the idea).
As shoppers lean into conscious giving, whether it’s financially or sustainability driven, it’s giving more fuel to new holidays like Secondhand Sunday and Green Monday. This is great news for brands like tentree, JuJuBe and CUTS, amongst many others, that launched their own resale experiences this year and are ready to capitalize on this momentum by:
Gaining relevance with the conscious consumer
Driving more traffic to their site when people search for secondhand gifts
Increasing site conversion during peak season – 43% of consumers are more likely to buy from brands with a resale program
Increasing LTV with current customers by offering resale as a way to earn money toward their Holiday gifts
As you finalize your holiday marketing plans, don’t neglect your resale site. Here is your guide to making the most of branded resale this holiday season:
1. Add brand new listings – Not all items in your resale site need to be used. Use your resale site to offload sample, returned or off-priced inventory that is still New With Tags (NWT). Driving consumers to these listings will elevate their experience and make their secondhand shopping experience still feel like firsthand. Plus, you’re able to clear inventory in a strategic way.
2. Highlight your NWT peer-to-peer listings - Don’t have much inventory to offload? Chances are your site has many ‘new’ or ‘like new’ listings uploaded by other consumers, so highlight those instead! (FYI our @treetshop instagram highlights our favorite Like-New finds every Friday!)
3. Offer incentives - Encourage more listings on your resale sites (so there can be more sales) by offering a larger brand credit. Some of our brands have previously increased their brand credit to 110-150% during key holidays like Earth Day, National Secondhand Wardrobe Day, or Green Monday.
4. Spotlight your resale site on your homepage - This holiday season, highlight conscious gifting by providing your customers with a clear pathway to buying pre-loved items.
5. Drop an exclusive - Tap into your archived prints or previously sold out inventory and list the on your resale site. These in-demand items have proven to drive revenue in the past and are a sure way to get your customers excited about shopping your brand again.
6. Create a Gift Guide – Include a mix of new and pre-loved items in your gift guides. Giving your shoppers options is one of the best ways to build loyalty.
7. Redirect traffic on Green Monday – If you really want to make a statement, consider running a “no new things” campaign on Green Monday (Dec. 12th) by redirecting traffic to your resale experience.
If you are a brand that has not yet launched a branded resale experience, reach out to us here and we’ll help you get set up in less than a week, just in time for the holidays!